Saturday, May 31, 2008

rained out

Big disappointment for our 'little Sport' this weekend. His very first ever soccer game was over before it even started. Last night before bed, R laid out his brand new shin pads and soccer shoes, picked out the shorts he wanted to wear and a shirt that he said he didn't care if it got dirty. He was SO excited. The first thing he said in the morning was "can I put on my shin pads now"? I knew it did not look good when I was driving home last night in the pouring rain, and when I heard the thunder and still more rain all through the night. It was still raining in the morning, but I was hoping we could at least go to the field so R could meet his team and pick up the jersey he has been so anxious to wear. K got R dressed in his gear and with long pants over the shorts and pads.


When we got the call an hour before game time that there would be no soccer due to rain, I really did not want to tell R, I knew how disappointed he would be. We have been talking about this day for weeks now. I showed R the rain outside and told him there would be no soccer and you could tell he was trying not to cry. He said "yes there is", "it's not raining that much" and "maybe there still will be, let's go anyway" and then he said "maybe we can play when it stops raining"...so hopeful. Then R got defensive like he often does when he's upset, and started his "I don't want to play soccer anyway" routine...that is always tricky to work him out of. In the end he was OK, just very disappointed - but he is now looking forward to his first game ever next weekend....please, please, please no rain!!!

After the soccer let down we still managed to have a great day, showing my parents around our new city. They took us out for lunch and we made plans to go camping next week.


Now just keep your fingers crossed for good weather next weekend!

No comments: