Monday, May 5, 2008

my Dad left here a day too early...

because yesterday after K took him to the airport, we went here...


and visited the Hershey factory..

Who knew that we lived so close to a chocolate factory! Unfortunately Hershey will be closing this factory some time this year, (read about it here), so I am happy that we got to see it before it shut down. Hopefully the employees from the plant will be compensated fairly and find new opportunities quickly.

The countryside surrounding our new home is just beautiful, and the small towns are so charming! K and I have decided that we are going to spend some time each week exploring the areas around our new home (and I can share photos here!). Today we packed the kids up and drove to Smiths Falls, located in the heart of the Rideau River and Canal (since I was familiar with the drive after going to the crop there with R on Saturday). I showed K where the shop was that I went to crop at (just so he knows where I will be spending my weekends and his money!)...

We ate lunch, played at a park...

and stopped here before leaving town...

{Note to R: if you are looking for another one...they had a black LP holder here! It was buried pretty deep so I didn't get a good look at it, but I think it is like the one I found in my parent's basement. What color is yours?}

Next we drove to Manotick, which is so cute I think we should have bought a house there...maybe another move K??? Just kidding, I'm not totally crazy. But look at this place...


Above is Watson's Mill, below is the type of street I dream about living on...



Manotick is a small village (now considered part of Ottawa) on the Rideau River that has an old-fashioned charm and quaint small town feel. I will definitely be coming back here often to soak in the scenery...

More adventures in coming posts...

3 comments:

Closet Artist said...

Was the flea market any good? I love me some junking!!! LOL
My record stand is a "rustic" white and I can just imagine my husband rolling his eyes upon seeing me drag yet another "must have" home!
We will have to do the Antrim flea market one Sunday. Fresh air, hot dogs and junk! Ahh nothing better.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am traveling vicariously through you now. I love all the pictures of your local tours. Shar

Anonymous said...

OMG, i am so jealous. a chocolate factory!! you should have mentioned that in your "why auntie m should move" speech.