Friday, April 4, 2008

today I found myself some treasures...

and I didn't have to go far to get them...they were in my parents basement. A few years ago when my Grandma & Grandpa and Great Aunt passed away my Mom moved some of their belongings from Winnipeg, to her house here. We had always planned on going through everything and seeing who would keep what, and we never did get around to it. Nothing like a big move to get you motivated. Well tonight I basically got to keep it all. My parents will be downsizing soon and my brother and sister have no interest in old furniture at all...so lucky me!

Some of the things my Dad and brother moved for me tonight are an armoire made by my grandpa, a cedar chest from the 1940s my grandma bought just after she married my grandpa, two small china cabinets, a tall dresser that was my Great Aunts, a silver tea service from the 1940s (my 3 year old son thought the teapot was a magic lamp and he was rubbing it to get the genie to come out), a jar of vintage buttons, an old window and a washbasin, and a vintage doll. I also scored a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine in a cabinet that was my Dad's grandmothers (I think from the serial number it is from 1901). And a cute little side table that reminds me very much of my sweet Grandma - when I remember visiting my grandparents I always see my Grandma sitting next to that table in her favorite chair looking out her front window for us to arrive. Wow! Once we get these treasures moved to our new home all they need is a little paint, some distressing and pretty knobs to make them all shabby and pretty.

I also took an old black metal record player stand that was my Mom's (from the 1950s I'm thinking). It has a shelf on the top and the bottom has slats where you could stand your LPs (huh????) but I am thinking it would be perfect for holding some scrapbooking supplies and organizing 12x12 paper on the bottom. I would love to post photos of everything I found, do some shabby paint treatments and then show you the before and afters...hmm. Maybe I will have time for that one day, but it did take me three years to actually go through everything...

Just because I want to include photos - here is Miss S's room. The green armoire is one that my Great Grandfather made and I inherited years ago (the other one I got tonight is very similar). It was once a very ugly shade of dark brown, then I painted it blue for R's baby room and now it is green for S. Miss S also had a pretty pink chandelier in her room but I took it down before we listed our house for sale so we could keep it...

And here is another treasure I inherited from my family. This dining room suite was my Great Grandparents, then my Grandma's and she passed it along to me (I think it is from around 1911). The chairs still have the original black leather seats and cane backs. I am considering having it refinished and maybe changing the color...

Tomorrow I'm going back to my parents basement to go through vintage greeting cards, glass doorknobs and other fun stuff.

Thanks to everyone that read my blog and left me comments. This is fun!

2 comments:

Closet Artist said...

OMG just hearing about all your goodies is making my head spin!! And by judging by your passion for vintage and antique, we are going to have a great time crusin' the countryside for goodies!!!
Oh and could I hire you to decorate my house?! Miss S's room and your scrap space and very lovely!! Both places I would feel very at home in.

Renee

goddessof4 said...

How lucky that you inherited that awesome dining set!!!! I am starting family heirloom traditions as my husband and I don't have much from family.We almost inherited a Roper stove very cool but had no way to bring it to Wisconsin.My mother in law still says she will bring it here.LOL