Tuesday, June 24, 2008

being a tourist in merrickville

When K asked where we were going this weekend, I thought of Merrickville. I have been told by a few people that I would really like it, and they were right! Merrickville is a picturesque village located on the Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage site) about 45 minutes south of Ottawa. It has been called Canada's most beautiful village - and I can see why. There are more heritage buildings here than in any other like-size village in Ontario - you can read a bit about the history of Merrickville here and here. The Main Street is just so charming - I wish there weren't cars parked all along it, so I could get better photos - but here are some shots of some shops and places to eat...


If I come back without my kiddies I want to eat here...



Found some fun white Scottie dog bookends at Village Metalsmiths {I'm using them in my scraproom to hold up my idea books}...

This is the Yellow Canoe Cafe where we had a wonderful lunch on the patio...







Of course my three kids had to stop for homemade ice cream at the "purple store". It smelled like heaven in there - I think they were making the waffle cones...yummy...



This is the Sam Jakes Inn...

Found some vintage Christmas ornaments to add to my collection, here...

More on Merrickville in another post...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words and for coming in.

We're glad you enjoyed your lunch at the Yellow Canoe Cafe yesterday.

cheers,
Susan & Andrew