Wednesday, August 19, 2009

the time traveler's wife

If you are still thinking about the movie the next day, it must have been good right?


Last night I saw The Time Traveler's Wife with some girlfriends, and I am still thinking about it today. Christine, Jen and I had read the book, and Lee Anne hadn't {which made the experience more entertaining because I kept hearing Jen whisper to Lee Anne explaining things that you could have easily missed if you hadn't read the book. I especially loved the part where I heard Lee Anne say "Well how many of him are there then?}.

I think my review would be that the movie was good. But I am always biased to the book, if I have read it first. I love reading more than I love watching movies. I loved this book. And there is just no way they can put all the detail of the novel into the film, without making it ten hours longer. The film did a pretty good job of touching on the most important parts of the story, but it is harder to get into the characters and really understand Claire and Henry's relationship without all the detail of the book. You know what I mean.

So I highly recommend the book. And the movie is good too. Just different. And if you read the book first and then you go to the movie, you can't really just enjoy the movie for itself. Because if you're like me, you will be constantly comparing it to the parts of the book in your head. Or if you are like Lee Anne, you will be sitting in the theater wondering out loud why Henry's hair is suddenly gray. {Just teasing Lee Anne - you know I love you}!

2 comments:

Closet Artist said...

I'm on the fence about seeing this movie. I really enjoyed the book and have visuals as to how everyone and everything looks and wonder if the movie will live up to it??
Perhaps I'll rent it when it comes out.

Mamaloup said...

I can so picture you gals at the movie. LeeAnne is a crack-up. Wish I could have been there too :(