Sunday, August 9, 2009

i'm mad at my computer

Immediately after I uploaded all my photos from a recent trip to Boston and Cape Cod, my laptop decided it hated me. And it quit on me {conveniently one month after my warranty expired}. So right now I am very mad at my computer. And I miss it...


So over the next few days while I see if it is possible to recover any of my ten gazillion photos off the fried hard drive, I may not be blogging. I may just be sitting around crying over the loss of all the photos that I have not backed up {I know, I know. I should know better. But it was always on my list of things to do...}


I am also very mad at Dell right now, who instead of telling me how exactly I could recover my priceless photos, just continued to try and sell me a new hard drive. I really don't care if you are going to "waive the cost of shipping" I just want to know how to save the photos of my kiddies. Oh, and thanks for emailing me a quote for the new hard drive - less shipping. I'll respond to that right away. Or maybe not, since your email is sitting on my laptop that I can no longer turn on. Thanks for all your help.


Today, I'm going to check out the new Apple store that is in Ottawa - so there, Dell.


And I'm going to buy an external hard drive. I have learned my lesson, the hard way. I will be backing up my photos in multiple locations, from now on.

5 comments:

Mellisa said...

OMG - how horrible. I had that happen to me with my desk top, in April. For me though, it was a virus. My computer was taking its last breaths with nothing able to be retreaved (or, as Tanya's husband told me, its on Life Support). Bad me. I didn't back up. It was awful. Kevin's work stuff, hundreds of downloaded songs ... and my precious photos. I don't know what that man did but be managed to recover everything of importance less some e-mails that I needed. *sigh of relief* Learned my lesson and bought an external hard drive.

Good luck with Apple. Pfft on you Dell! lol You're funny.

auntie m said...

did you not learn that when this happened to carrie bradshaw that you should back up.

one and one + two said...

I have learned many things from Carrie Bradshaw...I guess the "backing up your files" thing just went over my head.

She would be proud however, of the two fabulous pairs of shoes I brought home from Boston.

{ps - I have taken over The Grandparents laptop. I am surprised they trust me with it right now}

Anonymous said...

Ironic that you mention all of this. I have just spent the last week backing up and sorting through ALL my photos! All the way back to 2003! Next on my list of things to do is upload them all somewhere to share with others. I have good intentions of doing that. However, as usual it will probably go to the wayside. But at least the back up part is done. Shar

Kataroo said...

OOOOOOHHHHH that's really awful, I'm so sorry :( Hang in there and maybe leave a twoonie on the PC at night in hopes that the computer fairy visits.